Friday, October 29, 2010

The magic of songs recorded LIVE

For a very long time ( to be honest until a few weeks ago, which make it really a long time for those who know my age...) I always thought that songs recorded in studios were better, in all aspects, than songs recorded LIVE, no matter how good the singer was. Songs recorded in studios are obviously better since the voice, the music are controlled, mixed and edited to produce a perfect output. Well, I discoved a few weeks ago that this is not always true. That perfect does not mean better. I happened to listen the song "I'm no good" by Amy Winehouse in two different versions. One was from a CD recorded in a studio and the other one was recorded from a LIVE performance in a London Theater. I was blown away by the difference in style. The LIVE version is much more emotional, more real, with feeling and excitment, able to send a chill down my spine. The studio version is in comparison boring, flat.

But not all singers perform better on stage than in a studio. On the contrary, most of the singers perform better in studio. Only a selected few great singers are able to perform better on stage: Amy Winehouse, Elton John, Shakira, Celine Dion....just to name but a few....

No comments:

Post a Comment