Thursday, September 30, 2010

Why the USA is a consumer's paradise

Episode 1:

A few years back in Miami, I bought an IBM computer for my office. I installed a korean version of windows instead of the pre-installed english version. Guess what happened? The internet did not connect, the cd-rom could not be found, the printer was not found....So I went back to Comp USA and I explained that I believe the computer is defective. So they gave me a new one. So I took out again all the materials from the boxes and did exactly the same thing and the same exactly things happened again. To make a long story short, I went to the computer store one more time and they gave me again a brand new computer. No questions asked. That was their promise, wasn't it?

What I didn't know was the fact that when you install a korean version of windows instead of the pre-installed english version, all the setting for the internet connection, the cd-rom drive, the printer connection are no more valid and you have to set them again under the new korean architecture. That's why those devices were not working. So I opened the boxes of 3 different computers based on my ignorance and the kindness of the customer service people. Thank you Customer Service !


Episode 2:

The previous story continues. So here I am in my office, having realized that the IBM computer was not the problem (after a quick phone call to the Computer Department of the headoffice in Seoul, Korea), with the mission of making the computer work properly with all the connecting devices I mentioned above. Seoul could not help me since they did not know the IBM computer architecture. IBM USA could not help me since they did not know the korean windows characteristics....Now that I think about it, I don't know what pushed me to call my internet service provider. Maybe a little inspiration from our friend above? I decided to simplify the problem. I bought a new desk-top computer and it cannot connect to the internet so I called my internet service provider for help since they have an interest in continuing the connection service with me, the customer....Again, to make a long story short, after two hour on the speaker phone with that incredible customer service agent we almost finished solving the connection problem when I accidentally hang up the phone! And I did not even know that agent's name so I could not call back Customer Service and ask for him. I obviously did not want to restart the process with a new customer service agent. That would have been awful and it was already 11:00 pm....And the miracle happened! The agent I have been talking to for two hours did some search to find my office number and we were able to establish connection with not only the internet but also the cd-rom, the scanner, the printer....Thank you, Mr. Customer Service Agent. It is people like you that make USA a consumer's paradise!  

No comments:

Post a Comment